This lovely girl you see here is Jasmine Benjamin. Jasmine was a 17 yr old freshman at Valdosta State University in Georgia. Jasmine was murdered at her campus dorm on November 18th. She was discovered on a couch in the common study room area.
While initially the authorities thought it was a death due to natural causes, we now know she was murdered. The question is, how did this happen? How did someone kill her in a common area of a dormitory? Was it someone who lived there? A fellow student perhaps? What it a stranger who broke into the dorm? Was this person her guest? Or someone else’s guest? The questions are endless..
College can be a fantastic experience in a person’s life. It is truly the start of an amazing life for the students there deciding who they will become. BUT…there are risks and dangers in colleges and universities. For most of the students it is their first taste of freedom. It is the first time they are truly on their own and unsupervised by their parents. A good percentage of them will innocently engage in risky behaviors and overlook their safety.
Here are a few safety tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not allow strangers into your dorm
- Do not prop the entrance door open for convenience
- If you notice a stranger or suspect something isn’t right, notify the Resident Coordinator, Resident Assistant or Campus Security immediately.
- Notify the Resident Coordinator if you have lost your key. (pay the fine and choke it up. Don’t let others potentially get hurt because of your mistake)
- Don’t hold the door open for a stranger who asks you to hold the door for him/her (might seem rude but it’s better to be safe than sorry.)
Keep in mind your safety comes first. Enjoy your time in college!